When I was thinking about how I wanted to decorate our baby’s room I decided to go with a theme that could work for a boy or a girl so we can use it for multiple children. We love to be outside so I decided to go with a nature theme in bright, cheerful colors. I love it so much that it is now my favorite room in the house!
I painted the walls and ceiling a light aqua color with one accent wall with large green harlequin print. To create the harlequin pattern I first painted the wall light green and then used a green colored pencil to draw on the harlequin lines using a laser level and measuring stick. Then I painted the diamonds with some slightly darker green paint mixed with glaze, so that some of the lighter green would show through too.
I used acrylic paint to paint trees around the room by hand.
The glider and lamp were both thrift store finds that I painted with spray paint. Also I re-covered the cushions on the glider. My husband built the toy chest/ottoman and I upholstered that with matching fabric.
All of the furniture is family hand-me-downs. I especially love the birds-eye-maple dressers which were part of my bedroom furniture when I was a child (and also my mother’s when she was a child).
I made the bedding out of some paisley and polka-dot fabrics. My Mother-in-law made the beautiful quilt!
The tree over the bed has a red cardinal perched on it because that bird is special to my family.
I painted our family dogs chasing a squirrel because that is what they love to do all day!
I made curtains to match the bedding with dragonfly appliques (click here for a tutorial). The tabs on the top are made out of extra fabric from the quilt and random buttons.
I wanted to use random letters for my son’s name. His dad helped me make the “W” out of some scrap bead-board. The “i” is a piece of wood I found at my in-laws barn. The first “l” is a ruler that belonged to my grandfather, and the second one is leftover from another project.
To display a couple infant photos, I painted some old frames yellow and hung them with 3-m mounting velcro. Then I hung the framed photos in the middle of the frames.
I did add a few touches around the room to make it more boyish, like dragonflies, a frog, and a lizard. If our next child happens to be a girl it would be pretty easy to add some flowers to the trees and growing from the base-boards!
I don’t know if it has anything to do with the painting in his nursery, but our boy absolutely loves to be outside and he also loves dogs!
You might also like: